Re: trn 4.0-test7*: messed up newsrc on server glitches

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 09:43:06AM +0100, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Nick Leverton wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 05:30:22PM +0100, Marco van Loon wrote:
> > >
> > > On infrequent/erratic occasions I've apparently had newsservers acting
> > > a bit weird, resulting in things like the following in my newsrc(s):
> > > alt.binaries.pictures.anime: 1-1075286495
> > > alt.binaries.sounds.anime: 1-1075286495
> >
> > It's a pretty nasty bug, and I've almost switched away from trn on more
> > than one occasion because of it.  Unfortunately if I have five thousand
> > postings to read again, it's quicker to go through them and recover my
> > pointers in trn than in any other newsreader.  Archiving my .newsrc
> > every night helps ...
> >
> > It seems to be to do with dropped connections or where the server closes
> > the connection, but trn copes with the normal case, this is a rare
> > exception (though often enough to be irritating!).  It happens every
> > couple of months here.
>
> I can only confirm this bug, and it indeed seems to happen when the server
> (or the connection with the server), for one reason or another goes away
> while trn is running.

Nah, in those kinds of cases trn 4.0 test72 just hangs (kill -9 needed)
for me; I don't seem to experience absurdly high article numbers in those
cases.   Using my crappy ISP newsserver I've experienced trn lockups
because of crashed connection a few dozens of times, but not a single
time 'absurdly high article numbers'...

> It then tries to get lots of empty articles, also
> writes messages of this kind to the console, and when you close trn, it
> usually sets the high watermark of lots of groups to some insanely high
> number.
> As far as I have been able to determine, this is not caused by the
> newsserver returning strange/large message numbers...

Well, I seem to remember once telnetting to a newsserver and getting
too high article numbers in response to a GROUP <newsgroup>, so maybe
our problems are not exactly the same...
I think I'll compile test76 or CVS with DEBUG turned on and run a while
like that to see if that results in useful info.

> Patrick.
> (Still a quite happy trn user, since there's nothing better to be gotten
> for reading news..)

Yeah, I agree: trn for reading and posting text messages and downloading
binaries (with nget as backup for quirky servers etc.) and my own shell
script for posting binaries is all I need for usenet. :)

Marco van Loon