Re: trn and yEnc

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 02:49:46PM +0200, Rhialto wrote:
> On Fri 22 Aug 2003 at 14:54:43 +0200, Marco van Loon wrote:
> > >     :e|ydecode
> > >     :s|ydecode
> >
> > That will only work if ydecode has a 'dumb' "blindly decode and append an
> >  article" mode...
> > If you've got a 4-article multi-part binary, the above does:
> > ydecode article1
> > ydecode article2
> > ydecode article3
> > ydecode article4
> >
> > instead of ydecode article1 article2 article3 article4
>
> The ydecoder that I have handles this situation perfectly. I believe it
> is simply the reference implementation, more or less, just made to
> compile properly on my Alpha.
>
> And no, it is not "blindly decode and append an article" mode, you can
> decode the articles in any order. yEnc was designed for this, after all.

Apparently you misunderstood things.

To give a simplified example: if I enter
echo -n "hello";echo " world"
Does the second echo know it's putting part of "hello world" on screen?
Of course not.

To get back to trn+yEnc: in
ydecode article1
ydecode article2
ydecode article3
ydecode article4

"ydecode article2" doesn't know there even was an article1, since
that wasn't fed to the ydecode process with the same PID.
The only thing ydecode can detect is that it has a 'part=2' yEnc article
and the output file already exists.   What that output file contains,
ydecode doesn't know; it could be the decoded data from article1 or
it could be a text file with the line "trn has problems with yEnc decoding"
in it... ;)    So to handle an existing output file, it can 1) overwrite,
2) write to a new file or 3) "blindly apend" to it.   With some nudging,
uudeview run from trn can be made to do option 1 and maybe option 2;
I don't know how ydecode handles it.

Marco van Loon