Re: trn and yEnc

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 08:29:13PM -0400, William Denton wrote:
> What's the best way to get trn decoding [yEnc] files?

Trn doesn't support yEnc directly because it was a poorly designed
format and I was kinda hoping it would go away (however, that doesn't
look to be very likely these days).

Since you have an external yEnc decoder installed, you could try one of
these commands and see if it works on the selected articles:

    :e|ydecode
    :s|ydecode

Personally, I've switched over to using "ubh" for extracting binaries --
since that's it's sole purpose in life, it does a good job of it.  I
haven't tried the 3.x version (it puts the article data into a mySQL
database), but the 2.x version works well for me (grab the ubh script
from the web-browsable CVS to get the latest fixes).  I combine it with
uudeview (a fast decoder) for extra speed.

    http://ubh.sourceforge.net/

One of its advantages over trn is that it caches the news headers, so if
the group is large, there is less delay "re-entering" the group.

..wayne..