Re: trn and yEnc

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 08:29:13PM -0400, William Denton wrote:
> I got access again to a news server that has binary groups.  Many of the
> MP3s are encoded with yEnc, which I'd never seen before, though I
> remembered some controvery about it.  What's the best way to get trn
> decoding the files?  I installed yencode, which includes the ydecode
> utility, but no matter how I save the files it won't decode them properly.
> Is there an incantation that will make it all work as nicely as trn does
> with uuencoded files?  Selecting and then saying ":e" is so nice.

Ew!  If you for ex. select all parts of a multi-part binary and
then use :e savedir|decoderprog
trn seems to pass each article to a new instance of decoderprog
instead of passing the whole of the selected articles to decoderprog. :(

I'll stick with using :s  to save whole picture floods or multiple
multi-part binaries to one file and then later use uudeview to decode
the whole bunch from the commandline...

Looking at ydecode's man page, you'd probably use it like
:e savedir|ydecode -
in trn for single-part yEnc files...
I think that for multi-part yEnc posts it will most likely run into
the same problems as I described above, so for MP3s the best solution
is probably save, decode later.

Marco van Loon