Re: Why are we still using trn?

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 01:01:25PM -0500, David Sewell wrote:

> Others?

Every time I try something else, I return to trn.  The interface works the
way I want, it's almost infinitely configurable, and it has the thread
tree.  It's the only one with the thread tree, of course, and I've found
that I absolutely hate using any newsreader without the thread tree.

I've tried slrn several times over the years, and I just can't do it.
The interface is nice, for what it is, but it's very restrictive in terms
of configuration, and it doesn't have the thread tree.  It doesn't work
quite the same way as trn, which to me is the One True Way, and it keeps
wanting you to do things the way it wants you to, and it lacks the thread
tree.  Oh, and there's no thread tree, in case I didn't mention that.

The problem with trn is that the code is so antiquated and ugly that it's
not easy to hack things into.  It's missing a lot of stuff I'd like to
have, but then I go look at the code, and give up hope of easily adding
them in.  Better MIME support would be great, with an emphasis on character
set translation.  But the thought of trying to add UTF-8 support to that
vintage-'80s code is not pleasant.

-Jeremy