Re: Why are we still using trn?

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Lars J. Aas wrote:

> Booker Bense <bbense@SLAC.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> : - Every now and then I'm tempted to switch to using GNUS mode in
> : emacs, but I've got way to many trn commands hardwired in my
> : hands. I hear good things about mutt if you want to go the combo
> : news/mail route.
>
> Mutt does news?

_ No that's my mistake, I was confusing mutt and slrn, since they
both use s-lang.

> :
> : - Trn is basically abandonware at this point, I don't think anybody's
> : seriously hacked at it in the last 8 years. If you want all these support
> : things you'll either have to organize them yourself or pick a more supported
> : news reader.
>
> I'm *this* close to cleaning up/modernizing the trn repository.  I don't have
> write access to the repository though, so that makes it that much harder.
> I want to move to autoconf/automake, and move the source files into a subdir
> and whichever other cleanups I see fit...
>
> Moving files with cvs causes you to lose their history unless you do it on
> the repository side.  If I could therefore get a tarball of the repository
> files and work on that instead of on a cvs checkout, I would be a lot more
> motivated to do the work, and I could set it up separately at cvs.coin3d.org
> for those who want to see/comment on the progress.  It would just be a fork
> until the trn-developers agreed that the new setup was complete and superior
> to the existing one and then move/migrate it back...

_ At this point there are no trn developers. I suspect if you
sent Wayne a private message, he'd be glad to at least
give you a copy of the cvs files to start a fork. I've heard
rumors that getting these out of sourceforge is not the easiest
thing to do though.

> The current build system is actually keeping me from looking at the trn
> sources too much because I want to avoid having to go through the configuration
> process again to make a new build ;)...

_ Well, if I was interested in hacking on curses based news
  readers, I'd be looking at languages like ruby, python or
  perl. Computers are fast enough now, that an interpreted
  language would be a much faster development environment.
  Reading news is more or less string munging and there are
  a lot of languages that do that better than C. Anyway,
  good luck...

_ Booker C. Bense