Re: TRN: almost all threads got marked; how2Undo that?

> On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, David Combs wrote:
> > I tried ":m", thinking that that would, for every marked thread,
> > execute "m" (mark unread) on it.
>
> First off, your terminology is a little off.  Articles get selected for
> reading, not marked.  The docs refer to marking only with respect to an
> article's unread status, which is completely separate from it's
> selection status.
>
> The '*' indicates that a thread has some selected articles and some
> non-selected articles, so something did a search and marked individual
> articles as selected.  These selected articles are already unread, so
> running ":m" does nothing.  If you run ":-" all articles will become
> unselected, which I believe is what you want.

Before I go and try that, I located, within trn's various
 context-dependent output  "help" screens,
 all the descriptions of the minus-sign "-" you've just suggested,
 and here's what I came up with (perhaps with some duplicatons):

|--------- the minus-operator, suggested in Wayne's ":-"

-       Set a range, as in d - f.  Repeats the last marking action.
-       Set a range, as in d - f.  Repeats the last marking action.
-       Go to previously displayed article.
-       Go to previously displayed article. [dkc: toggles back&forth]
-       Set a range, as in d - f.  Repeats the last marking action.
-       Set a range, as in d - f.  Repeats the last marking action.
-       Set a range, as in d - f.  Repeats the last marking action.
-       Go to previously displayed article.
-       Go to previously displayed article.

> However, if the selections are happening each time you enter the group,
> then you have a memorized command for the group that is selecting
> articles.  Press Ctrl-K from inside the group and check out what is
> there.  You'll probably want to edit the file and remove whatever
> command that is generating too many selections.
>
> > Oh, I eventually tried removing, from .newsrc, all the article-numbers
> > for that newsgroup, before which I had exited trn.
>
> The .newsrc file determines the read/unread status of the articles in
> each group, and has nothing to do with selection.  Auto-selection
> commands are stored in each group's memorized-command file (aka "kill
> file").
>
> ..wayne..

So, I guess it'd be safest for me *wait* for an explanation
of how the above-described "-"-op will via some hidden magic
make those articles become UN-selected.

Thanks, Wayne!

David