Re: How dead is Trinity and is it worth contributing to?

On Wednesday 03 July 2024 10:31:32 am CHRIS M via tde-users wrote:
> I gave an HONEST answer to Riley, I can't help that you took it the wrong
> way. That's the whole point is to take everyones input and thoughts on how
> to keep TDE alive. There's nothing wrong with INPUT, without input, TDE
> would prob shrivel up and cease to exist.
>
> I just thought it would be nice to have newer version of software, It
> doesn't have to be the PLASMA VERSION of apps, But at least advance SOME
> apps to version 2.x +,  but keep KDE the 3.5.x base.

You're coming off a little heated man. I mostly wanted to see if Trinity has
an active community and what it's priorities are.

On Linux, most desktop applications are just front-ends for a minimal backend
designed to do one task well, as long as TDE is being maintained it will
always be on a newer version.

Right now the focus seems to be on migrating the build system to CMake and
absorbing TQtInterface into TQt, which might not seem that exciting from a
user's POV right now, but will make it easier to fix bugs and add new
features down the line. Which show signs of life and good decision making.

The changes I intend to make are some bug fixes and improving some minor
nitpics here and there (ktorrent doesn't open magnet links, add mpv support
to kmplayer, add an argument to akregator so I don't need a shell script to
load RSS feeds from my browser). And maybe one day giving Calgaro a nightmare
PR to review for a hacked-together webkit monstrosity ;D