Re: How dead is Trinity and is it worth contributing to?

On Wed, 03 Jul 2024 20:00:08 +0000
CHRIS M via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 July 2024 01:57:13 PM (-05:00), E. Liddell via tde-users
> wrote:
>
>  >
>  > As I understand it, you have a workflow for email that uses a couple of
>  > specific features that the TDE version of kmail doesn't support, and
> other
>  > mailers don't necessarily either, but the KDE5 version of kmail does.
>  >
>  > The appropriate thing to do in this case is not complain that TDE kmail
>  > is "not modern", but file an RFE to request that filtering emails by
>  > age (and anything else you think is missing) be added.  Chances are that
>  > the only reason a simple feature like that isn't there is that no one's
> ever
>  > asked for it.
>

> Okay, What is a RFE?

It stands for Request For Enhancement.

> And how do I file it?
>
> I am eager to learn.
>
> I've never figured out how to file bug reports. The only way I know to file
> them
> is when the OS pops up and says " OOPS, XXXX CRASHED, DO YOU WANT TO SEND A
> REPORT IN?"
> And usually I hit YES.

You'll need an account with the TDE gitea server.

https://mirror.git.trinitydesktop.org/gitea/user/login

Once you have that, log in, click on "Issues" at the top left, then "TDE/tdepim"
in the list down the left side (since kmail is part of that component), then
"New Issue" on the upper right.  This will give you a form.  Fill it out.
Since this is an RFE, it would be nice to prefix the title with "RFE" or
"Wishlist" or something, so that the development team knows it's a new
feature and not a broken existing one.  You can also set the "SL/Wishlist"
label, if you like.  In "Steps to Reproduce", you can describe where you
think your new option should logically be located.  The rest should
hopefully be straightforward.

Formal bug filing is done in the same way.

>   I didn't realize my email program (claws-mail) had it
>  > until this discussion caused me to check it, because it isn't a feature
>  > I have a need for.
>
> Claws Mail <3
>
> My top clients would be:
>
> Evolution, then Claws, then KMAIL.

Claws does what I need it to do and doesn't intrude otherwise—much like TDE.
I tried out three or four different mail clients when I moved from Windows to
Linux ~19 years ago, and ended up with sylpheed, then the claws fork.

E. Liddell