Re: How dead is Trinity and is it worth contributing to?

On Wed, 03 Jul 2024 17:31:32 +0000
CHRIS M via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 July 2024 03:04:39 PM (-05:00), deloptes via tde-users wrote:
>

>  > Chris,
>  > We've been through this already and the fact that you can not configure
>  > kmail or have some other issues, does not mean it is not working well or
>  > whatever.
>
> No, you misunderstood what I was saying, I was just saying it would be nice
> to get a little bit of a newer version of software, than software that's
> frozen in time from 2008.

As I understand it, you have a workflow for email that uses a couple of
specific features that the TDE version of kmail doesn't support, and other
mailers don't necessarily either, but the KDE5 version of kmail does.

The appropriate thing to do in this case is not complain that TDE kmail
is "not modern", but file an RFE to request that filtering emails by
age (and anything else you think is missing) be added.  Chances are that
the only reason a simple feature like that isn't there is that no one's ever
asked for it.  I didn't realize my email program (claws-mail) had it
until this discussion caused me to check it, because it isn't a feature
I have a need for.

Not everyone does things the same way, and searching other applications
in the same field for things not present in TDE software isn't a good use
of the devs' time, especially since some of those things aren't used or
are outright detrimental.  If you want something that isn't already here,
you have to ask.

That phrase "not modern"?  It tells people nothing about why a piece
of software doesn't work for you.  (Hell, often it just means, "the look
and feel is different from the latest version of [other OS]" or "it wasn't
 made for a touchscreen").  "Not modern" isn't something that anyone
here can fix, because it's meaningless.  It's very good at spreading
FUD, however, which is why some people on this list get annoyed
by it.

E. Liddell