Re: How dead is Trinity and is it worth contributing to?

On 7/3/24 5:07 AM, ajh-valmer via tde-users wrote:
It is not recommended to use both, TDE and KDE together,
it's either one OR the other (exclusive OR).
If we use both, we create blocking incidents on both desktops,
and even if we only use KDE-Kmail under TDE-Trinity.
If this is the case, we destabilize the TDE applications,
crash reports guaranteed, with extinction of windows and
obligation to at least rebooting the TDE session,
more rarely to have to reboot the computer.

Without attention TDE and KDE will collide and conflict. Yet issues can be avoided. For example, right now I am using KDE 5 along with TDE KMail and TDE KAlarm.

Some effort is required to use both KDE and TDE together. One of the cornerstones is configuring the $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP environment variable. Other environment variables need attention too, such as $PATH. Needed are shell script wrappers and environment variables configured correctly.

A notable challenge is TDE being relegated to /opt purgatory rather than being installed in /usr like all other DEs. This expected default location creates tension with environment variables, as seen in the starttde shell script. I suspect that if TDE was installed to /usr and there were no file name conflicts, etc., mixing KDE and TDE apps would still be subject to the nuances of environment variables, themes, etc. Installing to /opt succeeds for most users because most TDE users do not use other DEs.

Through the years I have filed related bug reports. Using both KDE and TDE probably is too much work for many people but that is okay. People should use what they want.