Re: Intel SSD with openSUSE 15.5

On Fri, 7 Jun 2024, deloptes via tde-users wrote:

Gianluca Interlandi via tde-users wrote:

The system is a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop. If anybody has any other
recommendations for a SSD to be used on a similar laptop, please let me
know. Also, is there really any speed advantage to using the corresponding
mechanical hard drive:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.cdw.com/product/wd-blue-wd20spzx-hard-drive-2-tb-sata-6gb-s/5077969?pfm=srh__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!ms-GkRZsEFY7prAfjbxKbQnOjpDbGFUha99z8WQLWa2jEADwyXP82GuiLXmAg_ahf9jK05n-jt4lZNPUX-QfN_YTqCI$

in such a system?

The WD blue are good, I prefer the red, but I have also few blue disks.

Just wondering, what is the advantage of red vs blue in case of WD SSD? I know that in case of the mechanical drives WD Blue has a feature that spins the disk down after 8 seconds of inactivity while for the Reds it does that after 300 seconds (although it can often be changed) along with vibration reduction. But for SSD, what is the advantage?

You will gain on disk speed (as Nik mentioned probably 4x), so it is good idea. I only wonder why you would take such large disk.

I decided to go for the largest size that still allows me to boot from (legacy) bios, without the need to create a GPT label (although I know it is possible to boot a larger disk from BIOS, but I want to keep it simple). Sometimes I copy a lot of simulation trajectories, so it may help having extra space.

One thing that keeps me away from mechanical hard disks is that a lot of the 2.5" disks come as SRM instead of CRM. I also like to turn off the head parking (spinning down) feature that causes the load count to increase quickly on the OS drive, but this is sometimes tricky.

Gianluca

Also on few old laptops from the same era firefox is sluggish (in case you
intend to use it for browsing). You can try a live image first, to see if
it performs.

Regarding openSUSE - I don't know. I found it always too overloaded with
things that one probably does not need.

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    +1 (206) 685 4435
                    http://gianluca.today/research/

Department of Bioengineering
University of Washington, Seattle WA U.S.A.