Re: Intel SSD with openSUSE 15.5

Gianluca Interlandi via tde-users wrote:

> Just wondering, what is the advantage of red vs blue in case of WD SSD? I
> know that in case of the mechanical drives WD Blue has a feature that
> spins the disk down after 8 seconds of inactivity while for the Reds it
> does that after 300 seconds (although it can often be changed) along with
> vibration reduction. But for SSD, what is the advantage?

Afaik Blue is intended for Desktops and Red for NAS (especially the Red NAS
version)

>> You will gain on disk speed (as Nik mentioned probably 4x), so it is
>> good idea. I only wonder why you would take such large disk.
>
> I decided to go for the largest size that still allows me to boot from
> (legacy) bios, without the need to create a GPT label (although I know it
> is possible to boot a larger disk from BIOS, but I want to keep it
> simple). Sometimes I copy a lot of simulation trajectories, so it may help
> having extra space.

I was just curious, because if you don't have backup of the drive (RAID or
whatever) and you store a lot of data on the drive, this is becoming a
problem.

> One thing that keeps me away from mechanical hard disks is that a lot of
> the 2.5" disks come as SRM instead of CRM. I also like to turn off the
> head parking (spinning down) feature that causes the load count to
> increase quickly on the OS drive, but this is sometimes tricky.

Well ... the spinning/mechanical disks are becoming something like the tape
drives from 15y ago. Few years ago I updated all the drives (some were 10+y
old) and I use mechanical in RAID only for the movies and documents. The
rest is on SSD. Both types are WD

Model Family:     WD Blue / Red / Green SSDs
Model Family:     Western Digital Red

Device Model:     WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 (old drives being decommissioned)
Device Model:     WDC WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 (old drives being decommissioned)
Device Model:     WDC WD60EFPX-68C5ZN0 (since last y. replacing 3x2TB above)
Device Model:     WDC  WDS100T1R0A-68A4W0 (SSD 1TB)
Device Model:     WDC  WDS200T1R0A-68A4W0 (SSD 2TB)

AFAIR EFRX is CRM, but could be I am wrong.