Re: LWN.NET: Trinity keeps KDE 3 on life support

On 5/31/24 09:53, Mike Bird via tde-users wrote:
On Fri May 31 2024 05:25:40 gene heskett via tde-users wrote:
More personal thoughts from a long time user who hasn't been able to
install on a debian system since the end of stretch. For newer versions
it has been a dependency hell there is no recovery from but a re-install
of debian. Items removed to satisfy your dependencies have included
glibc for instance. I've complained but no one seems to care, So I'm
stuck with thunderbird for email which is always broken somewhere, and
xfce4 for a desktop. A generally usable solutiom but not ideal by a long
row of apple trees.

Hi Gene,

I have Debian running on a bunch of boxes, several of them with TDE.

If you're using standard Debian and TDE packages you're welcome to send
me your problematic /etc/apt/ and dpkg -l and I'll put them on a test box
and see if I can figure out how to get TDE running on your Debian.

But if you're using non-standard packages, or obsolete packages, or a lot
of pinning then sorry, I can't help you.

There is a bookworm problem that debian can't fix. So I won't saddle you with that, which is: Any program opening a local path to storage for any purpose is blocked, with no error messages found anywhere as to why its blocked. The block is of varying length ranging from a minimum of 30 seconds to maybe a minute. To say that sitting here, with no activity for all those blocks is frustrating is an understatement. Once this timeout has elapsed, operation is normal. Some programs, such as digiKam, won't wait for it, so while it goes thru the motions of importing pix from my es420 cannon, it does not actually import, shotwell OTOH, is blocked at initial launch, but once that has elapsed, I can turn on the camera, it automatically accesses it and everything just works. This top of he line ASUS based system has been re-installed something in the 40 times area because the installer can't work w/o unplugging ALL usb stuff. IMO the installer is broken but debian doesn't agree.

I'm hoping trixie when its offically out, will fix much of this. Uptime suffers too, not more than 2 weeks between x freezes while switching workspaces. That is not the end of the list but I won't bore you further. Thanks for the offer Mike, but the bottom line is probably that this is a frankensystem from the gitgo. My problem IOW. I insist this is a universal operating system, like debian is so proud of advertizing. It seems I share a house with the Murphy that wrote all those laws.

Take care & stay well Mike.
--Mike
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.