Re: LWN.NET: Trinity keeps KDE 3 on life support

On Friday 31 May 2024 02:12:56 deloptes via tde-users wrote:
> Uneducated, because they obviously do not know the history behind and
> uncultured, because they do not contact anybody before posting the crap
>
> Recently I like this combination to point to a woke person that lives in a
> bubble.
>
> > Basically, as TDE is not a commercial venture, we don't care.
>
> Exactly
>
> > However, it also means that as far as the project needs money, we'll have
> > to pay for it.
> >
> > As far as I am concerned it's OK.
>
> Yes, I think so as well. The sad thing is that there are a lot of things to
> be improved, but there is not enough man power.
> I tried to participate to the regular meetings of the devs, but it was not
> possible for time reasons. I know though that they are coordinating their
> actions in regular meetings, so I am sure the project is in good hands.

Some people get it, others don't. Those others who don't get it will tend to
believe in reviews, and moreover want to be dazzled by the very latest,
brightest and shiniest new things.

The notion that anybody could prefer a desktop that simply works, is usable,
and which allows users virtually total control over their own machines ...
Why, this sounds like some kind of oldthink, an absurd fantasy covered in
spider-webs and nostalgia.

I used to worry about whether our users and developers can keep TDE alive, and
anybody else who has been running Trinity long enough has suffered through
previous bad reviews and botched hit jobs. And I used to worry about Trinity
getting installed in /opt/ and other seeming irregularities. Yet, 12 years
later, TDE is still here, and I am still running TDE.

Every few years, a review like this comes out, and some people get agitated
and worried, and say that something must be done: that we are slipping
behind; or that TDE doesn't come bundled with any of the major distros as one
of the default choices for desktop; or that we need more public visibility,
to have a presence on this or that social media platform.

Yet, against all odds, TDE is still here, and is doing better than ever.

If I had paid attention to those negative reviews over the years, then I
probably wouldn't be running TDE today. Just because somebody can write a
review, it doesn't mean that what they say is actually real or true.

Bill