Re: remove sleep, suspend, hybernate, sleep and combos from logout menu

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 04:52:10 -0400
gene heskett via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Anno domini 2024 Sat, 9 Mar 19:05:10 -0500
> >   E. Liddell via tde-users scripsit:

> >> I don't think the proprietary nvidia driver has played nice with suspend/hibernate
> >> under Linux in any distro at any time in the past twenty years.
> >
> You underestimate the time frame, Nick and neglected to point a finger
> at the other guilty party, amd.

You're responding to my text in a quote there. :/

I was only speaking to own my experiences with nvidia and Linux—there
was a warning in the Gentoo wiki about nvidia-drivers and hibernation at
least as far back as 2005.  How long it was there before that, I don't know.

As for AMD, they've improved somewhat since the 1990s, since there's
almost no reason to install their proprietary driver over the open-source one
anymore (I think the closed-source one may offer better support for some
bleeding-edge compute stuff, that's all), meaning that the driver most people
use fullly supports both card and kernel.  Now, if only it didn't require llvm
to be installed . . .

E. Liddell