Re: remove sleep, suspend, hybernate, sleep and combos from logout menu

On 3/10/24 04:21, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
Anno domini 2024 Sat, 9 Mar 19:05:10 -0500
  E. Liddell via tde-users scripsit:
On Sat, 9 Mar 2024 13:12:29 -0800 (PST)
Gianluca Interlandi via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Personal curiosity: Does anybody know how well Devuan plays with NVIDIA
video cards and the proprietary NVIDIA driver? I have had difficulties
resuming from hibernate and suspend on a systemd system after installing
the proprietary NVIDIA driver, which installs also several sleep/resume
scripts.

I don't think the proprietary nvidia driver has played nice with suspend/hibernate
under Linux in any distro at any time in the past twenty years.

You underestimate the time frame, Nick and neglected to point a finger at the other guilty party, amd. I built a machine for linux, red hat 5.0 in late '98 IIRC putting a mid priced amd video card in it. then waited to get a driver faster that the framebuffer vesa which could only do about 8 frames/sec, then saw a report that their card, naming it could now do movies with such and such for a driver, so I ran to staples who then had video cards and bought that exact card. Didn't work, turns out that w/o changing a dotted i on the box, what was in the box was new production and totally different. The box was open and linux was mentioned, staples would not take it back so I was out around $125 back when that was 3 weeks of lunch money. It was a long time before I bought another amd video product.

The nvidia (and amd if IRCC) cards do not quote a reset command as they should. There has been a techtalk on BSD behyve and GPU passthrough some months ago and that was the essence. Any operation requiring the GPU to reset propperly requires powercycling the graphics card. That's a platform-independent problem that's to be solved by nvidia firware.

Nik

E. Liddell

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.