Re: remove sleep, suspend, hybernate, sleep and combos from logout menu

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024, E. Liddell via tde-users wrote:

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 04:52:10 -0400
gene heskett via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anno domini 2024 Sat, 9 Mar 19:05:10 -0500
  E. Liddell via tde-users scripsit:

I don't think the proprietary nvidia driver has played nice with suspend/hibernate
under Linux in any distro at any time in the past twenty years.

You underestimate the time frame, Nick and neglected to point a finger
at the other guilty party, amd.

You're responding to my text in a quote there. :/

I was only speaking to own my experiences with nvidia and Linux?there
was a warning in the Gentoo wiki about nvidia-drivers and hibernation at
least as far back as 2005.  How long it was there before that, I don't know.

I used openSUSE 11.3 with an NVIDIA video card and proprietary driver for a long time and I was able to hibernate and resume every day for several months without any problems. (Maybe systemd has made things more complicated, not to point the finger.)

Before installing the NVIDIA card in my current installation, openSUSE 15.4, I had an old AMD card, HD6450, with the opensource driver. It worked fine except that when loading a complex xmgrace file the entire X session would crash.

I have now been using the "freeze" option in TDE to put my desktop into a low power mode. I think that it turns off the hard disk besides the USB ports and monitor. However, the case fan keeps spinning at a minimum speed. It is a Dell Optiplex 780. The fan is quiet but I wished there was a way to turn it off completely when I put the system into "freeze" (s2idle) as the CPU is not doing much anyway (and is probably in a low power mode).

I think that the next system I build will be purely based on Intel including GPU (the integrated GPU in the Optiplex 780 somehow produced lower resolution openGL images).

Thanks,

     Gianluca

As for AMD, they've improved somewhat since the 1990s, since there's
almost no reason to install their proprietary driver over the open-source one
anymore (I think the closed-source one may offer better support for some
bleeding-edge compute stuff, that's all), meaning that the driver most people
use fullly supports both card and kernel.  Now, if only it didn't require llvm
to be installed . . .

E. Liddell

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    +1 (206) 685 4435
                    http://gianluca.today/

Department of Bioengineering
University of Washington, Seattle WA U.S.A.