Re: half-baked devuan installation - please help

On Saturday 14 October 2023 01:58:37 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:

> > Before I go changing things in what is basically still a stable system
> > (doesn't crash, etc.), I want to give this a try. It may be, after a few
> > reboots, that I discover that the problem all along was that I needed
> > those packages.
> >
> > If this still doesn't help, then I will give excalibur a try. But I don't
> > like taking the scenic route just to install that release (i.e., chimaera
> > > daedalus > upgrading by changing my sources.list). That, to me seems
> > just a bit too indirect, and will probably make for a few surprises along
> > the way.
>
> No worries, it'll be fine, belive me ... :] Kernel 6.5 has better support
> for ryzen CPU, so things won't get worse (hopefully). As your ssd is in
> most parts a vaste desert now you can just copy your system to a spare
> folder and try the upgrade. If it does not work, just move folders around
> and be fine:
>
> # mkdir /old-root
> # mount --bind / /mnt
> # rsync -av /mnt/ /old-root
> # umount /mnt
> # rsync -av /boot/ /old-boot
>
> ... then do the upgrade.

Well, before I go walking in the muddy footprints of the Buddha who has walked
there before me ... I will wait awhile longer, as I do at least have a stable
system, though riddled with these weird glitches, as I call them.

It may take me another week or two, as I have things to do, but in the
meanwhile I can observe if anything has changed for the better. I have at
least upgraded my existing daedalus system, have added those non-free
firmware packages, and I ought to give it a try like this, before messing up
everything.

I do have a life of sorts, you know, and keeping my thing together sometimes
means that I have to use a computer, a working computer, hopefully a Linux
computer of my own design. There is no hurry.

If, after a few reboots and some time for observation, I find that these same
issues persist, then I believe I ought to try upgrading from daedalus to
chimaera by changing my sources.list. If that doesn't work, then I will try a
new installation, starting with a minimal installation of chimaera, then
upgrading to daedalus and excalibur.

At least, for the moment, that's the plan.

Bill