Re: half-baked devuan installation - please help

On Saturday 14 October 2023 00:25:30 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
> Hi Bill!
>
> Did you succeed with moving to excalibur?

Not yet. As stated in a previous email, I am waiting to test out these
upgrades to daedalus, using non-free firmware according to your
recommendations.

If I were to upgrade to excalibur, then I can go about it either of two ways:
1) reinstall my OS using a chimaera image, but doing a minimal installation;
then upgrading to daedalus, then upgrading to excalibur. This may or may not
work, of course, but I may get irritated enough by these weird glitches that
I decide that it must be tried.

Or, 2) to stick with my current daedalus installation (with all the preferred
packages already installed); only I have upgraded, and have added those
packages that you recommended.

Before I go changing things in what is basically still a stable system
(doesn't crash, etc.), I want to give this a try. It may be, after a few
reboots, that I discover that the problem all along was that I needed those
packages.

If this still doesn't help, then I will give excalibur a try. But I don't like
taking the scenic route just to install that release (i.e., chimaera >
daedalus > upgrading by changing my sources.list). That, to me seems just a
bit too indirect, and will probably make for a few surprises along the way.

> Anno domini 2023 Fri, 13 Oct 15:37:18 -0700
>
>  William Morder via tde-users scripsit:
> > [...]
> >
> > > I guess it is possible. I think that the EFI passes the boot process to
> > > grub. or they both work together. I forgot already.
> >
> > When I get some new flash drives, then I think maybe I will try this
> > again. I already know that I can do it, and it works to boot the system
> > and just use the machine's hardware as a host. The only thing that
> > remains is whether the efi partition on this flash drive could be used to
> > boot the OS on my actual machine, so there is nothing lost by trying that
> > way.
>
> When you have GRUB on your EFI on the flash it could work. But I have seen
> too many broken EFI BIOS that I would count on it.

Yes, I think that this would work, because when I install to my internal hard
drive, this is one of the questions asked: Do I want to create an efi
partition on an external drive (USB flash, etc.) on which to install grub?
with the promise that it might boot an otherwise unbootable machine.

It seems to me that the OS installed on my flash drive, which will be
essentially the same as whatever I install on my system, can use that same
efi partition and grub. But I might be wrong; just because it seems to make
sense to say it doesn't mean that it will actually work. It appears that none
else has tried it.

There am I, the intrepid adventurer, boldly going where nobody has gone
before ...

Bill