Re: half-baked devuan installation - please help

Anno domini 2023 Sat, 14 Oct 01:10:14 -0700
 William Morder via tde-users scripsit:

> On Saturday 14 October 2023 00:25:30 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
> > Hi Bill!
> >
> > Did you succeed with moving to excalibur?
>
> Not yet. As stated in a previous email, I am waiting to test out these
> upgrades to daedalus, using non-free firmware according to your
> recommendations.
>
> If I were to upgrade to excalibur, then I can go about it either of two ways:
> 1) reinstall my OS using a chimaera image, but doing a minimal installation;
> then upgrading to daedalus, then upgrading to excalibur. This may or may not
> work, of course, but I may get irritated enough by these weird glitches that
> I decide that it must be tried.
>
> Or, 2) to stick with my current daedalus installation (with all the preferred
> packages already installed); only I have upgraded, and have added those
> packages that you recommended.
>
> Before I go changing things in what is basically still a stable system
> (doesn't crash, etc.), I want to give this a try. It may be, after a few
> reboots, that I discover that the problem all along was that I needed those
> packages.
>
> If this still doesn't help, then I will give excalibur a try. But I don't like
> taking the scenic route just to install that release (i.e., chimaera >
> daedalus > upgrading by changing my sources.list). That, to me seems just a
> bit too indirect, and will probably make for a few surprises along the way.
No worries, it'll be fine, belive me ... :] Kernel 6.5 has better support for ryzen CPU, so things won't get worse (hopefully). As your ssd is in most parts a vaste desert now you can just copy your system to a spare folder and try the upgrade. If it does not work, just move folders around and be fine:

# mkdir /old-root
# mount --bind / /mnt
# rsync -av /mnt/ /old-root
# umount /mnt
# rsync -av /boot/ /old-boot

... then do the upgrade.

> [...]
> There am I, the intrepid adventurer, boldly going where nobody has gone
> before ...

Don't count on that. See those almost vanished traces in the mud? These are my footprints ...