half-baked devuan installation - please help

I have finally got round to attempting to install the current stable version
of Devuan Daedalus. I had tried a testing version, which wasn't working so
well, then I installed Devuan Chimaera again (which is old stable), then just
upgraded to Daedalus by changing my sources.list.

But now I have run into a snag which I've only encountered a couple times
before, don't have a clue how to get past this. It seems to be something to
do with a low graphics installation, maybe?

In any case, I went into the bios, enabled legacy support, uefi first (which
has normally worked just fine for me in all previous installations), but I
got a weird messed-up screen of illegible garbage. So I went into the bios
again, tried a different tack: enabled legacy support, legacy first, and this
was only a little better. I also tried just using the OS defaults, enabling
uefi, but as I'm sure everybody knows, this won't allow me to install a Linux
system at all.

I realize that Microsoft and Apple are concerned for our safety and
well-being, and wish at all costs to protect us from the dangers of
installing Linux, but I can't help wanting to dabble in the dark arts of
software freedom.

For what it's worth, I am working on a Lenovo Ideapad 3.15 15.6" laptop. The
only hardware change was to swap the internal 128 gb SSD drive for a 2 tb
SSD. Otherwise, the only changes were to void my warranty before I ever
booted into a Windoze system. I installed Linux on first boot.

And no, by the way, I have no other computer with which to get on the
internet, and never use my phone for internet. Someday perhaps I will get
another machine, but at present I have about six more machines packed away in
storage.

Attached are some screenshots (taken with my phone) to show what's happening.
I have a funny feeling that others on the mailing list have experienced
something like this, and I know, too, that there are some dedicated users of
Devuan or Devuan-type systems, so maybe somebody can tell me how to get past
this barrier, or at least point me in the right direction.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, and you will get rewarded
in tons of good karma.

See attachments for screenshots.

thanks in advance,

Bill