Re: two configuration issues

said E. Liddell via tde-users:
| On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 00:03:35 +0000
|
| dep via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| > Now I need to figure out how to get TDE to use x-cursors. I know it
| > can, because I use redglass on my desktop machine. But there's some
| > spin to it, because simply installing the cursors, pointers, etc. and
| > pointing KControl at 'em doesn't do the trick. (We could really use a
| > good cursor editor. It would need only to be a way to put a hot pixel
| > into any approproately sized bitmap.)
|
| I think I ended up adding an environment variable XCURSOR_THEME
| with a value of "default" at one point because the GTK3 Adwaita
| engine-thing kept trying to hijack the cursor theme and ignoring the
| Control Center when I tried to kick it to the curb.  Don't know if
| that's relevant to your distro, though, or what value you need to get
| something other than the default cursor.

Weirdly, after a restart redglass and whiteglass appeared in the
possibilities when choosing a cursor theme. In that the whole litany of
cursor themes were available on my desktop machine, I did a little poking
around and amazingly found the answer, sort of: while the various pointer
graphics reside in /usr/share/icons in their respective subdirectories,
this is not enough (though it's all you get if you install the Debian
x-pointers or whatever it's called package). But they won't show up in
KControl unless there is a file, in this case "redglass.theme"
in /etc/X11/cursors. Which I now discovered, after reboot, that I had;
also whiteglass.theme." But no [name].theme files for any of the other
dozens that came over with the package (all of which exist
in /etc/X11/cursors on my desktop machine).

Well, I thought, if I wanted I could just copy all those [name].theme files
into /etc/X11/cursors. Except for this: they don't exist anywhere else.
They're not in /usr/share/icons with the cursors themselves, and locate
tells me they aren't here at all. So while I've solved the immediate
issue, in that there's a redglass.theme and redglass was what I was
looking for, I've found a mystery.

Anyway, redglass is now working nicely on the Thinkpad. So I guess I have a
source for redglass.theme when I migrate the desktop machine. (Also, each
of the cursors directories in /usr/share/icons appears to be signed, which
is strange in and of itself, at least to me.)
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/