Re: Trisquel/drop-in ubuntu replacement

On Sunday 12 March 2023 15:59:39 Mike Bird via tde-users wrote:
> On Sun March 12 2023 15:17:51 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:

I'll just give a group response to those last few replies. (I have been
outdoors today, that place beyond the keyboard and command-line screen.)

Regarding the sysvinit versus systemd: I don't really have a knowledgeable
opinion on this matter, as I am not a technical person. I have heard
explanations and arguments on both sides, and they all sound sensible, but I
don't know if some are clearly wrong and others right, or if there can be
shades of right and wrong. As I said before, Debian gave me control over my
machine, and freed me from the 'Buntus and other distros like them. But then
I switched to Devuan, just to try it. Suddenly my machine ran better, and I
was no longer fighting to make my machine do what I wanted. I like what
Devuan says, but I don't know if it is better than Debian just because of
that choice of sysvinit over systemd, or because their philosophy or politics
makes them better developers, or other factors are involved. I only say, my
machine runs better on Debian than it did on Kubuntu, and now it runs better
on Devuan than it did on Debian.

I was respectful toward Debian, and never said never "no systemd, no
nevermore"! I only say that, thus far, in my own experience, Devuan has
performed better on my own machines, and I am able to use completely
free/libre GNU/Linux software. I have also heard about memory leaks with
Devuan and sysvinit. Don't know the story there; I can only say, my system
runs really well on Devuan. Debian worked okay, I guess, except that I kept
having problems that forced me to do a complete reinstallation every few
days. (This was about five years ago now, so I cannot remember the details,
sorry.) Since switching to Devuan, everything has been pretty stable and
predictable. So long as the user does nothing too stupid, everything seems to
work as I had hoped. There is always that human stupidity problem, but since
I keep my machines at only one user, who is myself, I have managed to limit
the stupid factor to a minimum.

For dep, and perhaps Leslie, if still out there wondering how to get your
Debian/Devuan OS installed, then I say, that THIS is where you want to be.
You may not know it yet, or you may have had a rough start getting into
Debian, but once you get past those early steps, Debian (or Devuan) is
stable, dependable, only requires basic maintenance. So whether you choose
Debian with systemd (or not), or choose Devuan with only sysvinit, it doesn't
matter much to me. But if you are looking for a 'Buntu type system, based on
Debian, it strikes me as silly not to stick with Debian until you figure it
out. It's a little harder than the 'Buntus, not so difficult as Slackware. If
you are already running TDE on top of Ubuntu, then you will have very little
problem making the transition to Debian.

And as I said, we have a great many Debian/Devuan users out there, so somehow
or other you ought to be able to get it up and running.

My suggestion is (as someone else said), get yourself that flash drive or
wherever you burn your image, then give Debian/Devuan a try. If you can get
it installed (and people are here to help), then I believe that you'll be
glad you went with that instead of some jazzed-up new distro that is all
tricked out with lots of glitzy graphics and logos. Neither Debian nor Devuan
are pretty; they just work, and they're stable, and you can keep things the
same on your machine for decades, if you so choose.

Bill