Re: Trisquel/drop-in ubuntu replacement

On Sun March 12 2023 15:17:51 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
> Sorry, but since when do es debian give you the freedom to remove systemd?

I have never used systemd - not because of any bugs but because the
deliberately cathedral design takes over a large part of GNU/Linux
infrastructure and makes future bazaar innovation more difficult.

I used Devuan for less than a year before switching back to Debian
in 2019.

Upon switching back I did indeed need one hack.  IIRC it was that the
quagga maintainer had removed an init script to force migration to
systemd.  All I had to do was copy an init script from an earlier
Debian release.

Today I have no hacks and Debian without systemd runs fine on servers,
virtual machines, and laptops.  (And I switched from quagga to frr
which is newer and better supported.)

And it may be that I should thank the Devuan team for keeping Debian
on its toes.

--Mike