Re: Dolphin will no longer open portable storage devices

Eureka! I found the source of my problem and fixed it. A full report will follow. Thanks Michele for your help; you showed me the way.

Regards, ken

On 2023-03-12 15:00, Ken Heard via tde-users wrote:
I started my desktop one day last week and wanted to open such a device, but Dolphin would not let me.  I was surprised because the previous day I had no trouble opening Dolphin.  Something must have happened overnight.

Instead that morning Dolphin crashed and returned a going away message which said the following, among other things:

The application Dolphin (d3lphin) crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV).

Another message provided by the TDE crash handler read as follows:

Could not generate a backtrace because the debugger 'gbd' was not found.

I understand that the generic term for what happened is called a 'segmentation fault' and I know what that phrase means.  What I do not know however it what to do to fix one when it occurs.

I did however discover that I could access from a terminal and through Gwenview all my portable devices.  Even so,  the absence of Dolphin limited my  full and effective use of the computer.

I also tried using Konqueror but encountered problems with it as well. When I tried to open a device I expected that I would be able to view a list of the directories in the selected device.  Instead Kwrite was activated, but said that it could not proceed because what Kwrite found there were directories rather than files.

I would certainly be grateful for any help to me free myself from this dilemma.

Regards, Ken Heard

To unsubscribe, e-mail: trinity-users-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx For additional commands, e-mail: trinity-users-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Read list messages on the web archive: http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/ Please remember not to top-post: http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/mailing_lists/#top-posting