Re: Coexistence of TDE and KDE

On Friday 10 March 2023 03:23:18 pm Chris Austin via tde-users wrote:
> On Thursday 09 Mar 2023 21:21:58 Dave Close via tde-users wrote:
> > I made these comments in response to a different topic and suspect
> > they were overlooked as a result. Hence, another attempt. On a Fedora
> > 37 system with KDE (5) working, I installed TDE. All of it except
> > the applications.

Hi Dave,

AFAIK all of TDE has been re-named so that it does not interfere with, or is
interfered by, KDE.  Slávek would have the definitive answer.

I’m going to guess that not installing all of TDE caused the odd behavior.  I
would try creating a live USB (Fedora 37 w/ KDE5) and then install all of TDE
to it for testing.

> > Having KDE 5 installed before installing TDE seems to have resulted
> > in some confusion. The DE startup splash screen, for example, says it
> > is starting Plasma by KDE. Once started, it does appear to actually
> > be TDE.

That would be normal until you re-configure the startup splash screen from
using KDE to using TDE's [login manager?]  (I don't know the actual name of
that).

> > But some parts of TDE don't work as expected. For example, the TDE
> > Control Center doesn't start if selected from the start menu. Nothing
> > at all happens. Starting kcontrol from a shell does start what appears
> > to be the program but nothing in it works. On exit, the shell reports,
> > "WARNING: No TDE menu group with X-TDE-BaseGroup=settings found |
> > Defaulting to Settings/".
> >
> > Is this sort of installation expected to work? Would it have been
> > better to start with a fresh install?
>
> I am using TDE installed after KDE-4 all the time, and I love it.  I can
> get the best of both worlds, using KDE-4 apps in TDE when I prefer them to
> the Trinity versions, and using the Trinity versions when I prefer them.
> However this is an old system, installed around March 2017, with Trinity
> installed over a late Debian Jessie system that came with KDE-4.  I
> installed TDM, so that is what I log in with.  I actually work in TDE all
> the time, unless I have to use one of two programs that used not to work in
> Trinity.  I just started one of those programs, Geomview, in Trinity just
> now, and to my surprise, it opened some windows.  So perhaps I might even
> be able to use that in Trinity now.

I've done this in the past as well.  I do remember that a few programs would
only not cause problems if the were run in a different Desktop (which I
thought was weird, but 'eh, it worked).

Best,
Michael