Re: Coexistence of TDE and KDE

On Thursday 09 Mar 2023 21:21:58 Dave Close via tde-users wrote:
> I made these comments in response to a different topic and suspect
> they were overlooked as a result. Hence, another attempt. On a Fedora
> 37 system with KDE (5) working, I installed TDE. All of it except
> the applications.
>
> Having KDE 5 installed before installing TDE seems to have resulted
> in some confusion. The DE startup splash screen, for example, says it
> is starting Plasma by KDE. Once started, it does appear to actually
> be TDE.
>
> But some parts of TDE don't work as expected. For example, the TDE
> Control Center doesn't start if selected from the start menu. Nothing
> at all happens. Starting kcontrol from a shell does start what appears
> to be the program but nothing in it works. On exit, the shell reports,
> "WARNING: No TDE menu group with X-TDE-BaseGroup=settings found |
> Defaulting to Settings/".
>
> Is this sort of installation expected to work? Would it have been
> better to start with a fresh install?

I am using TDE installed after KDE-4 all the time, and I love it.  I can get
the best of both worlds, using KDE-4 apps in TDE when I prefer them to the
Trinity versions, and using the Trinity versions when I prefer them.  However
this is an old system, installed around March 2017, with Trinity installed
over a late Debian Jessie system that came with KDE-4.  I installed TDM, so
that is what I log in with.  I actually work in TDE all the time, unless I
have to use one of two programs that used not to work in Trinity.  I just
started one of those programs, Geomview, in Trinity just now, and to my
surprise, it opened some windows.  So perhaps I might even be able to use that
in Trinity now.
Regards, Chris