Re: TDE Mirrors for Everyone?

On Friday 02 September 2022 04:59:37 E. Liddell wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2022 22:45:51 -0500
>
> Michael <mb_trinity_desktop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The minimum Internet connection where I’m at is 300 Mbps (symmetrical).
> > But, since no one replied to my question, I’m not real sure anyone on
> > this list is even interested in spending $5 per year?  Or has a home
> > system that’s on 24/7?
>
> You may be overestimating other people's connections.  Mine is a cable
> connection that, in practice, gets no more than 30Mbps down, is probably
> not symmetrical (I'm not the person who gets the bills, so I've never seen
> the specifications), and is shared with the rest of the household.
>
> I'd be willing to pitch in some money for hosting a mirror in the cloud or
> at a data center (if we can get the financials sorted out), but hosting
> anything here just isn't going to happen.
>
> E. Liddell

I am in a different boat, but it looks about the same as what E describes.
Sometimes, indeed, I can get amazing speeds for download (nearly 2 mbps), but
uploads are not so fast.

Also, it depends a lot on the time of day. Late at night, my machine is the
fastest on the block; during daytime hours, when everybody and their dogs are
online, it can slow to a trickle, and I get bumped offline sporadically, or
sometimes even constantly, to the point where I just go offline and do
something else.

Likewise, I am willing to donate, if it means that I get to keep using TDE as
my desktop. (Seems like a good investment.) But we keep getting bogged down
just about at this same point.

The best solution would seem to be, set up some kind of legal entity: a
company, a non-profit, an org, to which we can all contribute as we are able,
according to our talents or financial means.

One of those obstacles is just that we would have to choose somewhere to have
a physical presence in the so-called real world; and that means that we would
become subject to local laws and regulations, taxes and fees and fines and
what-not.

If we go that route, then we need to choose the place wisely. Is there any
nation that is run by enlightened sages?

Bill