Re: TDE Mirrors for Everyone?

On Thursday 01 September 2022 07:23:38 pm Slávek Banko wrote:
> On Thursday 01 of September 2022 00:00:48 Mike Bird wrote:
> > On Wed August 31 2022 13:13:15 Michael wrote:
> > > Thoughts?
> >
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > Here you go:
> >
> > (1) I operate a VPS which is mostly used as a TDE mirror.  It
> >     has 4GB RAM and 800GB disk space.  Regular price is $138.36
> >     but discounts are often available and I got this with a 50%
> >     discount for $69.18/annum which is reasonable.  It's probably
> >     the third VPS I've used for a TDE mirror - every few years I
> >     search for better bargains.
>
> You have our thanks for providing the primary mirror as well as overseeing
> the other mirrors.

My thanks as well!

> > (2) Separately and unrelated to TDE another VPS I operate has a
> >     forwarding mechanism such as you describe to a low-traffic
> >     home server.  I use a combination of openVPN, iptables and
> >     proxy ARP - and an additional public IP.  You might do it
> >     without renting an additional public IP but it would be
> >     complicated and require use of non-standard ports for
> >     conflicting services.
>
> To provide services within one public address, it would be possible to use
> a VPN connection (either the mentioned OpenVPN or Wireguard, which seems
> to be a very promising alternative) and do DNAT for ports of the required
> services to the home server.

Ah cool, so it's at least a fairly known thing to do.

> > (3) The disadvantage to home-based mirrors is that every user
> >     download is an upload over your home bandwidth which is often
> >     limited.  If I tried to run a mirror at home it would kill
> >     our streaming (Roku) but others may have more home bandwidth
> >     than we do.
>
> This is exactly the concern I would have with using "home mirrors". There
> are many home connections that are asymmetric => large incoming bandwidth,
> small outgoing. Providing a mirror consumes outgoing bandwidth, so it can
> cause problems on such connections.

The minimum Internet connection where I’m at is 300 Mbps (symmetrical).  But,
since no one replied to my question, I’m not real sure anyone on this list is
even interested in spending $5 per year?  Or has a home system that’s on
24/7?

IDK.  This only seems worthwhile if people are willing to do it.  I would, but
going through all the setup work is hardly worthwhile for just one person.

> However, I have an idea how the threat of bandwidth overload could be
> solved for accesses using http / https. If ports 80 / 443 were not DNAT to
> the home server, but served by a reverse proxy on the VPS (for example
> using apache, nginx or lighttpd), file caching could be used there, for
> example using squid-deb-proxy. This allows frequently used files to be
> served from the cache without having to download them again from the home
> server, and at the same time gives the ability to control the volume of
> files that will be stored on the VPS. This would require more effort to set
> up, but it could work.

I’ve not done any real research on these, but this is the spec of the NAT VPS
I saw:

4GB SSD Disk
256MB DDR4 RAM
1 vCPU (Fair Use)
/80 IPv6 + 20 IPv4 ports
500GB transfer @ 1Gbps; then unlimited at reduced speed

Can that even run the software needed to do any caching?  (My original thought
was just to be a straight pipe, since I was assuming whoever wanted to do it
would already have adequate home bandwidth.)

If we get past the planning stage I was going to talk with the hosting company
and tell what we were going to do, that way we’d not be in violation of their
TOS.

> In any case, it seems to be an effective solution to move forward with the
> creation of a TDE organization so that we can start receiving and manage
> donations and thus invest in infrastructure, as Michele mentioned. I am
> aware that this is a task that is waiting for me for a long time :(

{follow up tomorrow}

Best,
Michael