TDE Mirrors for Everyone?

Hi All,

As most of you know, I donate a mirror to TDE.  It costs ~USD100 / year [1].
Mine has ~18 months left, but it’s hard drive isn’t really big enough for
what Slávek wants/needs long term.  (It’s also completely overkill in terms
of memory/cpu.)

I recently saw an article about NAT VPSes [2] whose prices are under $10 /
year [3].  These, with some tinkering, can be setup to tunnel traffic to a
home box (which could be running a VM to act as a TDE mirror).

VM’s can be ‘packaged’ such that they are one click imports (at least on
Oracle VirtualBox).  That would allow Slávek to be able to create it once and
then any one of us could install it locally.

My graphics skills suckage, but something like:

mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org >
NAT VPS >
Your public IP (from ISP) >
[Your router/NAT/'ISP thingy'] >
Your home server >
VM (on your home server)

I’ve used SSH tunnels for 20+ years, but we’d probably need Slávek or someone
with more knowledge of traffic tunneling than me, to help with the full setup
(as I think iptables is probably a better solution?).

# # #

Okay, why?

1) I think several of us have existing home hardware that has a spare ~2TB,
can run a 1CPU/2GB RAM VM, and runs 24/7 already.
2) At ~$5 per year it’d be a very cheap way for TDE to have multiple mirrors
that have the full space available Slávek wants.

Thoughts?

And a show of hands of people who’d provide a TDE mirror under something like
this?

Best All,
Michael

[1]
Current offers are roughly 90/yr for VPSes w/ 48GB RAM, 720GB NVMe, 12 vCPU,
24TB transfer  (triennial billing).
https://www.ssdnodes.com/sale/aug-2022-offers/

[2]
https://lowendbox.com/blog/what-the-heck-is-a-nat-vps-anyway/