Re: TDE Mirrors for Everyone?

On Thursday 01 of September 2022 00:00:48 Mike Bird wrote:
> On Wed August 31 2022 13:13:15 Michael wrote:
> > Thoughts?
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> Here you go:
>
> (1) I operate a VPS which is mostly used as a TDE mirror.  It
>     has 4GB RAM and 800GB disk space.  Regular price is $138.36
>     but discounts are often available and I got this with a 50%
>     discount for $69.18/annum which is reasonable.  It's probably
>     the third VPS I've used for a TDE mirror - every few years I
>     search for better bargains.

You have our thanks for providing the primary mirror as well as overseeing
the other mirrors.

> (2) Separately and unrelated to TDE another VPS I operate has a
>     forwarding mechanism such as you describe to a low-traffic
>     home server.  I use a combination of openVPN, iptables and
>     proxy ARP - and an additional public IP.  You might do it
>     without renting an additional public IP but it would be
>     complicated and require use of non-standard ports for
>     conflicting services.

To provide services within one public address, it would be possible to use
a VPN connection (either the mentioned OpenVPN or Wireguard, which seems
to be a very promising alternative) and do DNAT for ports of the required
services to the home server.

> (3) The disadvantage to home-based mirrors is that every user
>     download is an upload over your home bandwidth which is often
>     limited.  If I tried to run a mirror at home it would kill
>     our streaming (Roku) but others may have more home bandwidth
>     than we do.

This is exactly the concern I would have with using "home mirrors". There
are many home connections that are asymmetric => large incoming bandwidth,
small outgoing. Providing a mirror consumes outgoing bandwidth, so it can
cause problems on such connections.

However, I have an idea how the threat of bandwidth overload could be
solved for accesses using http / https. If ports 80 / 443 were not DNAT to
the home server, but served by a reverse proxy on the VPS (for example
using apache, nginx or lighttpd), file caching could be used there, for
example using squid-deb-proxy. This allows frequently used files to be
served from the cache without having to download them again from the home
server, and at the same time gives the ability to control the volume of
files that will be stored on the VPS. This would require more effort to set
up, but it could work.

In any case, it seems to be an effective solution to move forward with the
creation of a TDE organization so that we can start receiving and manage
donations and thus invest in infrastructure, as Michele mentioned. I am
aware that this is a task that is waiting for me for a long time :(

> --Mike

Cheers
--
Slávek