Re: how to use Kmail with the new Google monster? [offtopic]

On Wednesday 25 May 2022 11:45:19 am William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> Now, unless I can use Tor to cloak my IP address and make it look like I'm
> not using Tor, I probably can't get into my Google account. Apparently I
> will be forced to go elsewhere, the library or whatever, to use their
> Internet and change my settings.

If you don't already have it, install the Tor browser bundle and use it to
access Google.  If (When really) you get the 'access denied' change the
circuit in TBB.  You do that by clicking the 'lock' icon next to the URL and
selecting 'New circuit for this site.'

You will probably need to do this a few dozen times to eventually get an exit
node that big G isn't pissed off at the moment.

> Is there anybody else out there who is beginning to imagine that the whole
> world has gone mad? or, at least, the people who actually run things, and
> make policy decisions?

Oh yes!  I just found out recently that Startpage censors its search results.*
DuckDuckGo doesn’t (yet).

* Do a search on anyone deemed to be spreading ‘misinformation’ in both search
engines and notice that only state propaganda is returned by Startpage.

On Wednesday 25 May 2022 12:07:23 pm William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> That's why I have already looked into buying my own server, and was
> considering creating my own private email service for myself and maybe a
> few friends or co-conspirators.
>
> I decided that it was too much to take on for one person alone, although I
> still entertain these fantasies about some kind of email cooperative
> organization; owner-members, sort of like food coops or other cooperatives.

If I did this, in a co-op situation, an easy solution, would cost US
~$200-250 / year.  It’d be viable for at least 100 normal mail users
(probably 1,000ish, but I tend to go low with projections).

A more robust solution probably not quite double?   That’d include a
disposable/changeable mail entry/exit IP, which solves the whole ISP running
TOR node(s) on a neighborhood IP(s), locating servers in countries with
better legal protection, ...

If you want to talk further, contact me direct, although it’s pretty much just
easier to buy an email address from a privacy oriented service.  For those
interested, here’s a somewhat okay read for background material (some of the
comments are good too).  https://restoreprivacy.com/email/secure/  (Well do
discard StartMail, which is run by the same people as Startpage.)

HTH,
Michael