Re: video sound not working

On Sat, 7 May 2022 11:51:58 -0700
William Morder via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > All you have to do is in system.pa comment out this line
> > #load-module module-udev-detect
> > and in default.pa add 2 lines referencing alsa device you want pulse to
> > use load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmixplug
> > load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoopplug
> > this should be "hw:X,X" if you have real sound card with hardware
> > mixer, or whatever you called the software mixer you setup
> > in /etc/asound.conf for no-mixer hardware
> > and then delete/rename /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf to prevent
> > default output switching to pulse

> Okay, so I tried both these suggestions, and have made some progress.
> (Both are quoted here for reference.)
>
> Thanks to Nik and Nick! These suggestions don't seem to conflict, so for
> the present I have left them both in place and rebooted. (I kept the
> original config files, so I can always go back.)
>

> The big surprise is, now smplayer won't play sound in any files, not even
> for files that used to work before. (I used to be able to play some in
> smplayer, others in vlc.) It seems to work normally, and the settings
> ought to be right, so far as I can tell. I suspect that pulseaudio is
> necessary for those that will not play.

Erm... My post explain how to run pulse alongside with alsa without them
conflicting and breaking thing. It only do something if pulse is running.
If pulse is running, but you get no sound in default-to-pulse apps, then
you probably put wrong device name in module-alsa-sink/source lines.
Pls post output of aplay -l and aplay -L

--
  Nick Koretsky (nick.koretsky@xxxxxxxxx)