Re: video sound not working

On Saturday 07 May 2022 07:33:22 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:

> > > ( sleep 3
> > >         awk '/: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic/ {print "defaults.pcm.card
> > > ",$1; pr int "defaults.ctl.card ",$1; print "defaults.timer.card
> > > ",$1;}' /proc/asound/car ds > /etc/asound.conf
> > >         sleep 20
> > >         amixer sset Front 100%
> > >         amixer sset Front on
> > >         amixer sset PCM 100%
> > > ) &
> >

> LOL ... should be "nice lines" ... probably I need to type a bit more
> careful :)
>
> They can go anywhere in /etc/rc.local, that is, if you need them at all. I
> found that I need them on my system (too many soundcards, and the one I
> want as default usually is not the default) --> I need to modify
> /etc/asound.conf on each boot. And after TDE comes up, I need to set the
> correct values for my mixer & output, otherwise they are muted. I remember
> a time when ALSA saved the settings on shutdown/reboot and restored them on
> the next boot, but I'm not sure if that was this millenia or the last.
>
> Nik

> All you have to do is in system.pa comment out this line
> #load-module module-udev-detect
> and in default.pa add 2 lines referencing alsa device you want pulse to use
> load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmixplug
> load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoopplug
> this should be "hw:X,X" if you have real sound card with hardware mixer, or
> whatever you called the software mixer you setup in /etc/asound.conf for
> no-mixer hardware
> and then delete/rename /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf to prevent default
> output switching to pulse
>
> --
>   Nick Koretsky (nick.koretsky@xxxxxxxxx)

Okay, so I tried both these suggestions, and have made some progress. (Both
are quoted here for reference.)

Thanks to Nik and Nick! These suggestions don't seem to conflict, so for the
present I have left them both in place and rebooted. (I kept the original
config files, so I can always go back.)

At present, all my usual music players work, namely audacious and qmmp. I
haven't tried audacity yet, but if these work, I expect that audacity won't
be a problem.

Likewise, vlc now plays everything I try, even stuff that wouldn't play
before. Likewise, kaffeine-trinity works with sound. I am not crazy about
kaffeine, but maybe I haven't used it enough to appreciate it.

I have also tried others, with negative results:  smplayer, mplayer, kmplayer,
xine, totem, and most others do not play sound.

The big surprise is, now smplayer won't play sound in any files, not even for
files that used to work before. (I used to be able to play some in smplayer,
others in vlc.) It seems to work normally, and the settings ought to be
right, so far as I can tell. I suspect that pulseaudio is necessary for those
that will not play.

Anyway, I believe that I'm almost *there*, wherever there is. It would be nice
to get smplayer working again, but at least vlc works now.

Bill