Re: smtp sending failed

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 15:23:50 -0700
Mike Bird <mgb-trinity@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed April 13 2022 14:52:49 Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> >   DMARC_POLICY_SOFTFAIL(0.10)[free.fr : No valid SPF, No valid DKIM,none]
>
> Hi Steven,
>
> free.fr does have SPF and it checks out as valid.  It has been in
> place since at least March 29th and probably for years before
> that.
>
> You did not show the context of the SPF softfail you posted but
> it is probably your own mail server or your ISP's mail server
> saying that Antoine's post from the list did not come from a
> free.fr server - which is of course true as it came from the
> list server.
>
> SPF, DKIM, and DMARC don't play well with mail forwarding or
> mailing lists but this would not be relevant to Antoine's
> attempts to send a regular email via a regular mail server.

I've looked at several list message headers now, and no one else
I've checked has a softfail there—it's either

DMARC_POLICY_ALLOW(-0.50)[domain];

or

DMARC_NA(0.00)[domain];

So the list server isn't causing the softfail.  Something else isn't
right.  (And I think it's the list server itself that's doing that bit of
spam scoring—the only messages that lack it are the ones sent
from HyperKitty.)

E. Liddell