Re: non-starting browsers - the whole sad history

On Sunday 27 February 2022 23:47:52 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> Anno domini 2022 Sun, 27 Feb 13:26:24 -0800
>
>  William Morder via tde-users scripsit:
> > [...]
> > Like yourself (that is, Michael), reinstallation takes me about 30
> > minutes, then getting TDE installed is another hour or two at most. So
> > I'm guessing a couple hours, tops. And I haven't wiped out my home folder
> > since about 2006, but just copied over the relevant parts, or saved the
> > whole thing to a separate hard drive.
>
> There could lie your problem buried in some old configs.
>
> Nik

I do copy my whole home folder to another hard drive, but I don't copy it
wholesale into the new partition for my home folder. I copy in folders or
config files as I need them. I keep the backup of my home folder on a
separate hard drive.

Since 2006 I have done this, learning from my mistakes. I have gone through 3
desktop computers and 5 laptops (if memory serves), so I can usually trace my
problems to their sources. There have been some bumps in the road, but I get
my machines to run as I want. But this is a new thing.

Besides which, this was already done back in December, when I got the laptop
and installed Devuan. Back then it definitely had a few issues, but I
gradually solved my problems.

It was only after I upgraded that all this weirdness with browsers crashing,
etc., started happening. The other things, like text editors acting
strangely, and those visitors on top, they didn't seem too important.

And it may be that those visitors were essential depencies, Gnome or not; but
my point is, I never noticed them before. I check top several times
throughout the day, because at a glance I can tell that things seem to be
normal, or not. And I had never seen those things before, taking up all my
CPU. That didn't seem right.

In any case, those visitors went away. I haven't removed anything essential.
But this problem with browsers remains.

Today I did have palemoon crash once, when I tried to use ublock origin to
block a banner on a site. I got a message that said "gtk2-tqt-engine
(palemoon-gtk-tqt-application) crashed"; I do hope that this is not a sign
that palemoon will also stop working.

Well, I am pondering my next move. It will not do me any good to try to rush
through this, just because I want to use my machine for other things besides
serving the needs of the machine.

Bill