Re: non-starting browsers - the whole sad history

Anno domini 2022 Sun, 27 Feb 12:00:21 -0800
 William Morder via tde-users scripsit:

> On Sunday 27 February 2022 11:48:03 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > Anno domini 2022 Sun, 27 Feb 11:24:29 -0800
> >
> >  William Morder via tde-users scripsit:
> > > [...]
> > > When I put things back to how they were before (because I have all the
> > > saved packages, and lists of what I installed when), I am able to
> > > reproduce what I did. When I reinstall, and try to put the system back to
> > > how it was before, this same problem occurs. It doesn't matter that I
> > > tried to put it back the same as before.
> >
> > There might be a gotcha: look into /etc/alternatives - these do not get
> > rebuild to the same links that you might expect. GNOMEs just started to
> > place "xdg-open" as alternative to "open" in there (including the manpage)
> > and it looks like the last package installed wins.
> >
> > Nik
>
> But wouldn't /etc/* (thus also everything inside it) get overwritten in a
> fresh installation? If so, why does it persist? When I try to go back to
> whatever installs by default, I still have this problem.

It would. But the "alternatives" system imposed by deian does not work as the package system. In packages you cannot have 2 or more binaries of the same name in the same place and a random procedure decides what binary you want to use. The "alternatives" does exactly this: by some random order one of several binaries that are supposed to do the same thing are linked to /etc/alternatives". What could possibly go wrong with that? Just try "man open": When you have xdg-utils installed, it giver the manpage of "xdg-open". When you have xdg-utils not installed, it gives the manpage of "open". How cool is that!

Nik