Re: non-starting browsers - the whole sad history

On Sunday 27 February 2022 13:14:08 Michael wrote:
> On Sunday 27 February 2022 02:23:21 pm gene heskett wrote:
> > Surely whats been installed should be removable without destroying the
> > rest of the system? But that approach isn't on the menu.
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> Okay, I have not read this whole thread, so if I've misunderstood so be it…
>
> MX Linux (Debian derivative) has options during install to ‘preserve home’
> and to not have to reformat the HD.  My last install took a total of about
> 30 minutes and I did not have to reconfigure every TDE package to get them
> back to how I like them.  Between the two options I probably saved 100
> hours of ‘work.’
>
> HTH, if not best anyways!,
> Michael

I did not quite understand what Gene was saying myself, so perhaps he could
clarify?

Regarding MX Linux (or any other Debian type of system), don't you *always*
have that option of preserving your home folder? I've tried AntiX (forget how
it's related to your MX), and looked into MX Linux, but I don't see any
appreciable difference when it comes to "preserving the home folder".

In Debian or Devuan or something similar, pick "expert install" from the menu
choices, don't choose "guided installation", define the size and type of your
own partitions, and that ought to do it.

Not disputing your advice, Michael; but as I said, you can already preserve
your home folder in Debian or Devuan or Ubuntu or pretty much any other Linux
distro that I've tried. If this is not the case, we need Gene to clarify.

Like yourself (that is, Michael), reinstallation takes me about 30 minutes,
then getting TDE installed is another hour or two at most. So I'm guessing a
couple hours, tops. And I haven't wiped out my home folder since about 2006,
but just copied over the relevant parts, or saved the whole thing to a
separate hard drive.

If Gene keeps losing all his data, then has to go through recovery: that just
doesn't sound right.

Bill