Re: non-starting browsers - the whole sad history

On Sunday, February 27, 2022 4:26:24 PM EST William Morder via tde-users
wrote:
> On Sunday 27 February 2022 13:14:08 Michael wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 27 February 2022 02:23:21 pm gene heskett wrote:
> >
> > > Surely whats been installed should be removable without destroying
> > > the
 rest of the system? But that approach isn't on the menu.

> > Hi Gene,
> >

> > Okay, I have not read this whole thread, so if I've misunderstood so
> > be it…
>

> > MX Linux (Debian derivative) has options during install to ‘preserve
> > home’
 and to not have to reformat the HD.  My last install took a
> > total of about 30 minutes and I did not have to reconfigure every
> > TDE package to get them back to how I like them.  Between the two
> > options I probably saved 100 hours of ‘work.’
> >

> > HTH, if not best anyways!,
> > Michael
>

> I did not quite understand what Gene was saying myself, so perhaps he
> could
 clarify?

> Regarding MX Linux (or any other Debian type of system), don't you
> *always*
 have that option of preserving your home folder? I've tried
> AntiX (forget how it's related to your MX), and looked into MX Linux,
> but I don't see any appreciable difference when it comes to
> "preserving the home folder".
> In Debian or Devuan or something similar, pick "expert install" from
> the menu
 choices, don't choose "guided installation", define the
> size and type of your own partitions, and that ought to do it.
>
> Not disputing your advice, Michael; but as I said, you can already
> preserve
 your home folder in Debian or Devuan or Ubuntu or pretty
> much any other Linux distro that I've tried. If this is not the case,
> we need Gene to clarify.

What I'm saying is that the installer can find and assemble the raid10 I
use for home, no problem, but it refuses to proceed with the install if
it isn't commanded to format it, wipeing out around 50 gigs of data that
I recovered from amanda backups without amanda help cuz amanda won't
build on bullseye. Perl and python are both too new. So I'm reduced to
gzip, dd and tar.

> Like yourself (that is, Michael), reinstallation takes me about 30
> minutes, then getting TDE installed is another hour or two at most.
> So I'm guessing a couple hours, tops. And I haven't wiped out my home
> folder since about 2006, but just copied over the relevant parts, or
> saved the whole thing to a separate hard drive.
>
> If Gene keeps losing all his data, then has to go through recovery:
> that just doesn't sound right.
>
> Bill

+10 or so Bill. Take care and stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis