Re: non-starting browsers - the whole sad history

> Merely replacing the hard drive should not void your warranty.

It was a joke. Installing Linux "voids the warranty"; I don't really intend to
return the laptop. I'm sure it's a pretty good machine, if I can ever get it
running right. But just using it since early December, putting into my bag,
taking it out again, that has caused it to look just a bit used. So I don't
think it would work, putting the original hard drive back in, then trying to
return it for a refund.

;-)

> Have you considered using LibreOffice themes?
>
> https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/how-to-change-themes/4764/2

Will look into it, thanks.

> > the breakage was already happening after a simple
> > upgrade from the same system which had been running stable since early
> > December.

> It is conceivable that an upgrade broke something, but that's not how
> your emails set out the chain of events. According to the emails you
> sent earlier, you spotted some unexpected entries in top, removed a
> bunch of packages until those entries went away, and only then, did the
> browsers stop working.

I did not remove a "bunch of packages" I tried to find the source of whatever
made those unwelcome visitors appear so prominently in top. I didn't actually
remove those items.

> Earlier you suggested that the unwelcome entries in top "seem to have
> been dragged in when I trying to get tork-trinity working". If those
> libraries were dependencies of tork-trinity, why did you remove them?

The items were not dependencies of tork-trinity. I was trying to find
tork-trinity dependencies (libevent, geoclue, etc.), but installed some
near-namesakes by mistake. It was those extra packages that I removed.

> Over the course of these threads, you have said that you have
> reinstalled the OS multiple times, "and had already pruned everything
> that seemed to be the cause", you have copied over the preferences
> from your old desktop, you forcefully removed packages that were
> marked as hard dependencies with dpkg --prune --force-all, and who knows
> what else you have done.
>
> You have made so many changes to what *was* a working system, it doesn't
> surprise me that things are not working correctly.

And I kept track of what was removed. And I reinstalled them, to no effect.
And then I did a complete reinstallation. By "pruning" I meant that I did not
follow my usual method for installation on a system that is running
comfortably well.

I have text files saved that have a list of packages to be installed, so that
I only have to paste in those names. I kept my old lists from my desktop,
which was running Devuan Beowulf. I copied over my home folder to my laptop,
tried to follow those lists to install Devuan Chimaera to the laptop. And for
the most part, this worked just fine. A few things had changed, and I
adapted.

And by the way, I've been doing it like this since I started running KDE3,
back in about 2006-2008 or so. I've run either KDE3 or TDE since then. I have
gone through PC Linux, Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04x, Debian since about 6 or 7,
I believe, and then switched to Devuan since Jessie.

Never seen anything like this.

> I am not an expert on the detailed internals of how gtk+ libraries are
> dynamically linked with applications, but given that your browsers are
> working correctly under xfce now, I think it would be worth logging
> out, logging back in to TDE, and see if they work again.
>
> And if they do work now, for pity's sake, stop removing packages!

When I put things back to how they were before (because I have all the saved
packages, and lists of what I installed when), I am able to reproduce what I
did. When I reinstall, and try to put the system back to how it was before,
this same problem occurs. It doesn't matter that I tried to put it back the
same as before.

Bill