Re: non-starting browsers - the whole sad history

On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 05:43:25AM -0800, William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> This started maybe the 23rd, the day after that robot cartoon that I sent;

You sent the robot cartoon to the list yesterday (Saturday 26th).

https://mail.trinitydesktop.org/mailman3/hyperkitty/list/users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/D2Z4LCF6JZX75TYGN7FVOMCNVSBPHJB4/

> For the record, as I stated before, I had voided my warranty within the first
> day or so, once I had my new SSD.

Merely replacing the hard drive should not void your warranty.

> Within the first few days, I had it up and running tolerably well, and since
> then it had only ever improved. Up until a few days ago, things were working
> well, and I had not really changed much of anything. LibreOffice worked, but
> it's the GUI interface that hurts my eyes and makes it hard to work.

Have you considered using LibreOffice themes?

https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/how-to-change-themes/4764/2

> the breakage was already happening after a simple
> upgrade from the same system which had been running stable since early
> December.
> Sorry for the lengthy description; but I wanted to lay to rest the false
> notion that I somehow did this to myself by removing essential packages. All
> I did was a simple upgrade.

It is conceivable that an upgrade broke something, but that's not how
your emails set out the chain of events. According to the emails you
sent earlier, you spotted some unexpected entries in top, removed a
bunch of packages until those entries went away, and only then, did the
browsers stop working.

Earlier you suggested that the unwelcome entries in top "seem to have
been dragged in when I trying to get tork-trinity working". If those
libraries were dependencies of tork-trinity, why did you remove them?

Over the course of these threads, you have said that you have
reinstalled the OS multiple times, "and had already pruned everything
that seemed to be the cause", you have copied over the preferences
from your old desktop, you forcefully removed packages that were
marked as hard dependencies with dpkg --prune --force-all, and who knows
what else you have done.

You have made so many changes to what *was* a working system, it doesn't
surprise me that things are not working correctly.

I am not an expert on the detailed internals of how gtk+ libraries are
dynamically linked with applications, but given that your browsers are
working correctly under xfce now, I think it would be worth logging
out, logging back in to TDE, and see if they work again.

And if they do work now, for pity's sake, stop removing packages!

--
Steve