Re: non-starting browsers - more info

> So why do you *choose* to spend some much time fighting against the
> machine?
>
> Why do you insist on spending hours and days tracking down every little
> package that does you no harm and eradicating it from your system (even
> if doing so breaks stuff!) because it is "Gnomish"?
>
> At the point that you are removing packages using dpkg --purge --force-all
> you are literally fighting the system and telling it that you know
> better than it what libraries and packages are needed.

No, I am trying to get a machine that actually works. I did try to use the
defaults, but those browsers stopped working. It was because they stopped
working that I tried to remove those packages. I went back to basics and
started over completely, and tried installing packages and their dependencies
one-at-a-time, trying to figure out where I had gone wrong (rather than
following my tried-and-true method that always worked on my old desktop,
where I was running Beowulf). I would return to my desktop and chuck this
piece of junk laptop, but alas! my desktop is put away in storage.

I am almost ready to surrender and return to Windoze.

I did try to use LibreOffice, again and again, and can't use it, so I try to
get OpenOffice to work. I have tried to run my system using those Gnome
packages, and when it works, and I don't notice it, I don't mind so much.

At this point, I find that I have spent a big pile of money on nothing, and
cannot move forward. I have a machine that is only useful for a passive
spectator, to listen to music and online radio and watch videos, etc., but I
cannot actually use it for work.

Thanks for caring, though.

;-)

Bill