Re: non-starting browsers - more info

On Saturday 26 February 2022 11:34:07 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> On Saturday 26 February 2022 19.31:12 William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> >. I used to say of Gnome, well, at least it's not as bad as
> > KDE4/5, etc., but now I begin to think maybe it's much worse than the
> > rest.
>
> I don't remember what you use for a distribution but I have the feeling
> that most desktops (and *many* applications) simply rely on gnomish
> material.
>
> Maybe building something like Gentoo from scratch could give a base system
> totaly Gnome-free - I don't know.
>
> So the question is - is there a really good reason to try to avoid them
> competely (no troll, just a question). As far as I am concerned I am happy
> if they don't mess with my system in a way I feel.
>
> Thierry

No problem, no troll intended, no troll perceived.

Well, let's suppose that I *don't* use icecat or palemoon or seamonkey or
vivaldi-snapshot, since they are rather non-mainstream, third-party
repositories, etc. (As I said, they are all stand-alone items, nothing
added.) For sake of argument, that sounds reasonable.

Still, however, firefox doesn't work, and that's basically, comes already
installed with most systems; not only Devuan, but all Debian-based, and
probably most other Linux distros.

It's not that I wouldn't like to learn Gentoo and other distros, but I am
getting old, and want to use my computer to finish some work that has taken
literally decades to bring to completion; and I am almost there. I don't have
decades of life left. I want to use my computer for things besides learning
more about computers.

If there is some way for me to resolve this, and to get a working computer
with internet access - and more importantly, some kind of working office
software that I can actually use - then I am willing to try. But I think it's
unreasonable that I must relearn everything every few years.

I need to make the most of the years that I have left, not waste my time
fighting against the machines.

Bill