Re: Greeter on wrong display

On Monday 14 of February 2022 09:52:47 Felix Miata wrote:
> deloptes composed on 2022-02-14 09:11 (UTC+0100):
> > Felix Miata wrote:
> >> I have a PC with 2560x1440 on DisplayPort, and 1920x1080 on HDMI. The
> >> greeter shows up on the small HDMI screen. Is there something in
> >> tdmrc or friends that can move it to the DP screen, and preferably,
> >> start off TDE sessions by default with the larger/DP screen as the
> >> primary? I know how to use xrandr to make the DP primary, but it's
> >> not working for the login greeter. It tried it in
> >> /etc/trinity/tdm/Xsetup, but it's apparently ignored or otherwise
> >> ineffective there.
> >
> > I think it depends on which display is set as your primary display. I
> > do not remember exactly but I think you can configure this as root for
> > the login screen. For example the Greeter should be configured to use
> > mirrored displays (default) and the user should be extended display.
> > In this case you get login screen on both displays and after this the
> > user configuration is loaded with extended setup.
>
> I don't find the strings mirror or extended in tdmrc.dpkg-dist or the
> abbreviated tdmrc. I know what you're describing, but I don't see any
> such settings in TCC. In Monitor & Display, everything is grayed out. In
> Login Manager settings, the only things I see having to do with display
> selection are an Identify Screens button, and a select list for how and
> where backgrounds appear.
>
> BTW, I'm trying to get this to happen using Intel IGPs on multiple PCs
> on both openSUSE and/or Debian first, then others, once (if?)
> successful.

Screens order is determined by xserver. If it is a desktop computer
instead of an empty xorg.conf and keep the configuration on the
autodetection result, you can force the screen settings by writing the
desired configuration parts to xorg.conf.

In any case, in the tdmrc is also possible to use setting
GreeterScreen=<screen> to enter location other than the primary screen:

# The screen the greeter should be displayed on in multi-headed and Xinerama
# setups. The numbering starts with 0. For Xinerama, it corresponds to the
# listing order in the active ServerLayout section of XF86Config; -1 means
# to use the upper-left screen, -2 means to use the upper-right screen.
# Default is 0

Cheers
--
Slávek