Re: KHTML security and web engine choices for TDE (Was: Re: I'M BAAAACK!)

On Wednesday 02 February 2022 09:53:10 am Mavridis Philippe wrote:
> I'd argue that since it supports a very limited portion of JavaScript
> and apparently none of the modern Web APIs like WebRTC, WebAssembly
> etc., the attack surface is actually smaller. The only disadvantages
> from a security standpoint would be effective lack of eyes and work on
> the source (the obvious disadvantage being, of course, a browser stuck
> in time).
Agreed. I just disable Javascript and Java altogether. Perhaps until something
can be done this should be the default.

>  > Webkit
>
> Looks like the least evil choice to go for TDE. Upstream versions seem
> to offer decent rendering and boast good privacy, and it can be
> integrated deeply with TQt/TDE.
I think Webkit is very underrated, it's used by Midori, Badwolf, Qutebrowser,
etc. so it seems to be popular for privacy and freedom oriented browsers.
Using things like Midori in the past, it can display modern web pages just
fine.

>  >  its fork Blink
I don't trust Blink at all just due to the "creep" from it dominating the web
browser market with Google in charge. They could create any standard they
want at any time and every browser for the sake of compatibility would have
to comply.

>  >  and QT5's repackage of Blink's core as WebEngine
Just QT5 Blink.

With current manpower I don't see Konqueror getting a browser revival any time
soon, but it's still nice to think about. I only mention it so much because
on the first installation of TDE your web browser *is* Konqueror in its
current state, with a launcher in the panel and on the desktop. Not a great
start.

Off-topic but blu, I don't know if I told you I liked Tristian (the polar
bear). I never got to make my entry because then and now I've been too busy
with the stress of modern academia to learn much outside of school. If we got
another mascot, I would be fine with Tristian. :-)

--
~ Hunter