Re: I'M BAAAACK!

On Wed, 2 Feb 2022 08:52:46 -0600
Hunter Ellett via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 February 2022 08:15:19 am ajh-valmer wrote:
> > I'm sorry to learn that Konqueror should be forsaken.
>
> Me and many others here think Konqueror should not go anywhere. I think the
> only problem with it as a web browser is KHTML, the actual functionality for
> both web browsing (KHTML being the bottleneck) & file management is really
> good. Maybe one day one of us can port it over to WebKit (hopefully not Blink
> or WebEngine, yuck..)

It also has an obsolete Javascript engine and an uncertain number of security holes
(because all non-trivial programs have bugs, and in something as complex and with
as large an attack surface as a browser, some of those bugs are going to affect
security).  Properly maintaining a browser, even if you're using someone else's
rendering engine, takes a lot of manpower.

Konqueror is a good file manager, and its HTML-viewing functionality is
useful for displaying things like local help files, but I wouldn't consider it a
good or safe option for browsing the Web at large.

(Also, the only available options for rendering engines these days are the Corporate
family (Webkit, its fork Blink, and QT5's repackage of Blink's core as WebEngine)
and the Inconvenient family (Gecko and its fork Goanna). Webkit belongs to Apple,
Blink belongs to Google, and Gecko and Goanna aren't really intended to be
separated from their existing browsers.  Choose your poison.)

E. Liddell