Re: A question about the different versions.

> Unless you already are a regular KDE user and depend on it, I would
> avoid it if possible, as it tends to mess up or conflict with TDE now
> and then. The newer KDE 4/5 does not play well with others.
>
> However ... when I first installed TDE on Debian, I did install KDE5
> and go all through it getting it to work as well as possible (e.g.,
> not to connect to the Internet automatically, to get my settings
> functional). I had used an Debian installation disc with non-free
> packages, and KDE Plasma was the default desktop. Since I was new to
> Debian, and wasn't quite up to installing from a shell and using only
> TDE, this did make my transition (from Kubuntu to Debian) a little
> smoother.
>
> Nowadays, if I must use another desktop for the installation, then I
> would say that either the XFCE slim desktop or the MATE desktop are
> preferable, as they seem to interfere less than KDE. But after that,
> I use only TDE. Felix Miata has his own method of installing TDE only
> by a shell, but that takes some dedication and work; I will move in
> that direction when I can have two working machines in the same
> location, wherever I am living then. For now, with only one machine,
> I always just want to get my machine back up and running, and get
> back to my own work.
>
> I hope this helps you to frame your own situation, so that you can
> decide how to approach installation. After I had done it a few times,
> though, I could do a fresh installation in my sleep.

Ah ha! I found your reply
Bill.. Your email somehow got
caught in Claws-mail's HAM folder!

I will have to keep in mind next time to use XFCE or MATE as a base
before installing TDE. I used LXQT this time for a base.. I hope that I
won't have any problems in the future with TDE.

About using SHELL... I guess I would have to of download the full debian
ISO to get the options of XFCE minimal? I used the Deb Mini ISO which
had to download LXQT off of the internet and then install it.

Thanks,
Chris