Re: A question about the different versions.

On Tuesday 18 January 2022 16:36:34 Mike Bird wrote:
> Hi Chris and welcome to the TDE mailing list.
>
> On Tue January 18 2022 16:15:54 c. marlow wrote:
> > I am currently on Debian 11, and I am thinking about trying TDE for the
> > very first time.
> >
> > I would like to know, what is the difference between TDE 14.x and TDE
> > 3.5.x and which one is the best?
>
> TDE 14.x is newer and better and supports Debian 11 Bullseye.  There are
> also TDE versions similar to Debian Testing and Debian Unstable but I
> recommend you start with 14.x.
>
> > And also, what would be the repo's be that I need to add via the
> > command line to get TDE?
>
> You should add the 4 lines shown here with bullseye as distro release name:
> https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Debian_Trinity_Repository_Installation_Inst
>ructions#Configure_the_package_manager
>
> In addition to the main repo those builddeps lines provide a few support
> libraries.
>
> That page also explains how to import the signing key and install Trinity.
>
> > And.. Do I need to install KDE first, and then TDE?
>
> TDE is designed to work alongside KDE if required but you'll probably find
> it less confusing at first if you do NOT install KDE.
>

> --Mike

Unless you already are a regular KDE user and depend on it, I would avoid it
if possible, as it tends to mess up or conflict with TDE now and then. The
newer KDE 4/5 does not play well with others.

However ... when I first installed TDE on Debian, I did install KDE5 and go
all through it getting it to work as well as possible (e.g., not to connect
to the Internet automatically, to get my settings functional). I had used an
Debian installation disc with non-free packages, and KDE Plasma was the
default desktop. Since I was new to Debian, and wasn't quite up to installing
from a shell and using only TDE, this did make my transition (from Kubuntu to
Debian) a little smoother.

Nowadays, if I must use another desktop for the installation, then I would say
that either the XFCE slim desktop or the MATE desktop are preferable, as they
seem to interfere less than KDE. But after that, I use only TDE. Felix Miata
has his own method of installing TDE only by a shell, but that takes some
dedication and work; I will move in that direction when I can have two
working machines in the same location, wherever I am living then. For now,
with only one machine, I always just want to get my machine back up and
running, and get back to my own work.

I hope this helps you to frame your own situation, so that you can decide how
to approach installation. After I had done it a few times, though, I could do
a fresh installation in my sleep.

Bill

Bill