Re: wireless not working - new installation

On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 15:52:19 -0800
William Morder via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Saturday 25 December 2021 14:26:22 E. Liddell wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 11:40:26 -0800
>
> > Is wpa_supplicant installed, or are you genuinely trying to configure
> > everything via wireless_tools (iw*)?
> >
> > E. Liddell
>
> I didn't want anybody to think ill of me, that I was averse to new
> experiences, so I poked around and found that wpa_supplicant has a wpa_gui.
> So I fired it up, entered all the necessary information, shared key, etc.,
> and I get a message "Could not get status from wpa_supplicant".

Did you have the daemon running in the background?  The various
configurators for wpa_supplicant act as clients with the daemon as
a server.

Back to basics.  Your /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file should
contain a line that sets ctrl_interface to something (no idea what the
recommendations for your distro are), and one that says "update_config=1".

Open two konsole (or whatever) windows.  In one, issue (tack on sudo
if required):

# killall wpa_supplicant

# wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd

That should restart the daemon in the foreground in debug mode.  In the
other konsole:

# wpa_cli

Unless some error message pops up in the boilerplate, at the new prompt
say "scan" and then "scan_results".  If at that point, it gives you an ugly
table of SSIDs, everything is working as it should, and you can tell it
"quit" and try wpa_gui again.

E. Liddell